Thursday, May 27, 2010

Prison Dining: Fortezza Medicea Restaurant

Looking for a unique dining experience? Book early for dinner at Fortezza Medicea Restaurant in Volterra, Italy (near Pisa). This restaurant is located inside a prison and staffed almost entirely by inmates.

Dinner is served inside the deconsecrated chapel set behind the 60 ft. high walls watch towers, searchlights and security cameras. The Fortezza Medicea is 500 years old. Cutlery is plastic, in case you were worried.

Signature Dish: Gnocchi with fava bean purée. What? You expected something else?

The long wait is further intensified, in that every diner must be screened by Rome's Ministry of Justice.



Fortezza Medicea Restaurant
print
Via del Castello
Volterra
39-058-886-099

4 comments:

Priscilla said...

I love this! Might we do something similar here? Isn't food supposed to be healing, bonding, civilizing? Of course, I might be a bit nervous if arsenic au gratin were on the menu...

vallerose said...

I'm not sure about dining in a prison but I do like gnocchi and I love fava beans. I just buy the beans, shell them and steam them for 20 minutes. they were a long time family treat.

baby crib said...

I want to try that one. That is going to be a very great experience. This is my first time to see a restaurant inside a jail.

Article Directory said...

Wow, this has been added to my to do list when i visit Italy. Planning a back pack tour this summer. So should be fun!

Thanks for the info buddy.