Friday, August 23, 2013

Ian Rankin Takes a Year Off

Ian Rankin has decided to take a year off. The Scotsman reports:

CRIME writer Ian Rankin has revealed he is taking a year off work because of health fears, just weeks after the death of his close friend and fellow author Iain Banks.

Rankin, 53, told an event at the Edinburgh International Book Festival he is “knackered and shattered” ahead of the release of his latest Inspector Rebus novel and the premiere of his first stage play.

He said he had been shaken by good friends such as Banks and Gavin Wallace, long-time head of literature at the Scottish Arts Council, “dropping dead”.

The book festival has already held a special event to pay tribute to Wallace, who joined the arts council in 1997 and became one of the most widely respected figures in the Scottish literary scene. 

And Fife-born Rankin is taking part in a special event to honour Banks’ literary legacy at the festival on Sunday.

Asked at his own event what his plans were for 2014, Rankin said: “I’m going to have a year off next year. I’m knackered, basically. Bluntly, I’m just shattered. I need the batteries recharging big-time.”
He went on: “The kids are on the cusp of leaving home or have left home.

“Friends of mine are dropping dead. Gavin Wallace dropped dead at the age of 53 earlier this year. I’m 53. Then of course Iain Banks was taken from us at the age of 59.

“I don’t want to die slumped over my desk. So I’m taking a year off next year and doing some travelling.”

Rankin also spoke about the death less than two years ago of another close friend, singer-songwriter and fellow Fifer Jackie Leven, whose songs have inspired the titles of his last two books. “He was largely than life; he was a troubadour. He had a whole host of stories and was a great guitarist,” he said.

“We were supposed to be doing an event together at the Belfast Festival and he was replaced at the last minute by a friend of his who told me he was very ill. I rang Jackie’s manager and he told me he had three days left to live.”

READ MORE HERE.

2 comments:

Priscilla said...

Wise choice, even though I will miss my annual thrill of a Rankin book.

vallery said...

Too many young people dying - enough already