Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Whodunit? CWA Best Ever Winners!

The Crime Writers’ Association (CWA) announced the following at an event at Foyles bookshop in central London marking the 60th anniversary of the Association. They polled their 600 members:

CWA Best Ever Novel: The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie
CWA Best Ever Crime Author: Agatha Christie
CWA Best Ever Crime Series: Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle

The Shortlists:

CWA Best Ever Novel
The Big Sleep (1939) by Raymond Chandler
Gorky Park (1981) by Martin Cruz Smith
The Hound of the Baskervilles (1902) by Arthur Conan Doyle
The Long Goodbye (1953) by Raymond Chandler
The Moonstone (1868) by Wilkie Collins
Murder on the Orient Express (1934) by Agatha Christie
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (1926) by Agatha Christie – WINNER
The Nine Tailors (1934) by Dorothy L Sayers
On Beulah Height (1998) by Reginald Hill
The Silence of the Lambs (1988) by Thomas Harris

CWA Best Ever Crime Author
Raymond Chandler
Agatha Christie – WINNER
Arthur Conan Doyle
Dashiell Hammett
Reginald Hill
PD James
Elmore Leonard
Ruth Rendell
Dorothy L Sayers
Georges Simenon

CWA Best Ever Crime Series
Albert Campion – Margery Allingham
Adam Dalgliesh – PD James
Dalziel & Pascoe – Reginald Hill
Sherlock Holmes – Arthur Conan Doyle – WINNER
Philip Marlowe – Raymond Chandler
Inspector Morse – Colin Dexter
Hercule Poirot – Agatha Christie
John Rebus – Ian Rankin
Lord Peter Wimsey – Dorothy L Sayers

HT: CrimeFictionLover

4 comments:

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I agree! Every time I read an Agatha Christie mystery novel I am reminded of what a good writer she is.

Yves Fey said...

I disagree. I enjoy Christie, and she was really inventive, but Chandler, Sayers, Wilkie Collins were all far better writers with greater depth.

vallery said...

I agree with Yves. But the Murder of Roger Ackroyd is a very good story. My personal favorite is the Moonstone. I definitely agree that the best series is Sherlock Holmes. I find Allingham unreadable, although I love the TV series. Everyone else on the list is very worthy. I think it is difficult to chose a "Best" because these authors are all so different.

Priscilla said...

I would have picked Murder on the Orient Express because I knew who the murderer was in Roger the moment he walked out of the library and I never get Whodunit! But this a quibble.